Our students’ individual needs are at the hearts of all curriculum and timetable planning. Individual programmes of work are developed from a students Education, Health & Care plan (EHC). Progress towards targets is closely monitored & contributes to the students Annual Review.
A PDF of our curriculum blocks chart can be downloaded on the link below.
Students follow a broad, balanced & progressive curriculum. Based on National Curriculum, but differentiated to meet individual needs & interests.
The curriculum at Sutherland House School aims to address the specific challenges which arise from autism and has at its core:
- Targets taken from the student’s Individual Education Programme
- Individualised targets in English, Maths, Science, ICT and Personal Health & Social Education (PHSE)
- The full range of National Curriculum or Foundation learning subject areas, which are delivered in a variety of age appropriate contexts.
- A cohesive structure of experiences that ensure continuity and progress whilst allowing the flexibility necessary to address individual needs.
- At 14-19 students access a range of accredited courses, which lead to qualifications at a level appropriate to their ability.
- Accredited courses are delivered both at school and local colleges and reflect students’ individual interests and skills.
- A variety of work-related learning opportunities are also offered to older students.
Our Curriculum Overview can be downloaded on the link below.